After 2 weeks of being gone I am finally home. I am so grateful I could be in Florida with my family. It was special, all the grandkids and spouses being together and getting into trouble:) It was time I know Poppop would have treasured and time I will forever remember. There is a new closeness I feel with my cousins, having lost one we loved so dearly. Sitting by Poppop's bed and holding onto each other, through tears, or talking with Poppop and sharing our heart felt last words. We listened to Chelsea's Praise Baby videos when they took him off of life support and had it turned up as loud as it would go so that Poppop might hear the sweet songs of praise and be comforted. We all cried listening to the words, especially-
You alone are Father, and You alone are good.
You alone are Savior and You alone are God.
I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive
I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive....
Seems strange that these words would provide comfort in a time where we were watching our granndaddy and father slip closer into eternity. The songs on the video have a new, deeper meaning to me now and I will always think of being in the hospital surrounded by family and listening to them through the eyes of Poppop's homegoing.
Here is a copy of the obituary from the paper:
Jack Lewis Scott Lyon
LYON, Jack Lewis Scott 77, of Hudson, was born in St. Petersburg on July 12, 1930. His glorious homegoing was on June 8, 2008, surrounded by family. He is survived by his loving wife of 57 years, Marcia; a son Mark (Dianne) Lyon of Hudson; daughter Teresa (Jim) Prose of Keystone Heights; daughter Lisa (Gene) Obenreder of Hudson, and predeceased by a son Mike Lyon in 1981. He has 8 grandchildren, Krista (Ryan) Clark of Grand Prairie TX, Matthew (Gabrielle) Prose of Orange Park, Aaron Lyon of Auburn AL, Mike (Natassja) Prose of Tampa, Rachel Obenreder of Tampa, John Prose of Cleveland TN, Ryan Obenreder of Tampa, and Robert Obenreder of Tampa; and one great-granddaughter Chelsea Clark of Grand Prairie TX; two brothers George (Burnetta) Lyon of Silver City, NM, and Robert (Sherry) Lyon of Brandon; a sister Sue Johnson of Tarpon Springs; a predeceased brother William Lyon of St. Petersburg, and other family in the St. Petersburg area. He retired from General Telephone Co. in 1981 after 32 years. He then began a ranching and soil mining business on his ranch in Hudson. He moved to the Pasco area in 1969 from St. Petersburg, where he graduated from St. Petersburg High School class of 1949. Jack was a member of First Baptist Church of New Port Richey. He played a major role in the establishment of Word of Life camp in Florida where many have come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. He will always be remembered as a dedicated Christian, a loving husband, father and grandfather, a hard worker, a man filled with wisdom and love, and for his willingness to lend a helping hand to anyone in need. A viewing will be held on Thursday, June 12th from 5-8 pm at Dobies Funeral Home in Hudson and on Friday, June 13th from 9-11am. A Memorial Celebration will be held at Word of Life on Friday, June 13th at 2 pm. Graveside service will follow at Grace Memorial Garden, Hudson. In lieu of flowers, memorial contribution can be made to First Baptist Church New Port Richey Building fund, or Word of Life Ministries Hudson, FL.
When I got home my precious, husband surprised me. See we got home on Monday, the day after Father's Day, a day that Chelsea and I should have been honoring him and he was busy honoring me and the memory of my grandfather. He had planted new flowers in the backyard and bluebonnets in the front. He bought a plant and a toy tractor to set in front of it. He had cleaned house and been to the grocery store- just so I wouldn't have to go. He had hung shelves in Chelsea's playroom for art supplies and made dinner- salmon, baked potatoes and salad with cinnamon roasted pecans and bosc pears. I was so humbled that on a day where I should have been lavishing gifts and attention on him he was thinking of me and proving his unselfish love for me. I didn't know how much I needed rescuing until I saw how much he had done.
Thank you Ryan for all you did to make my coming home special. Thanks for working so hard and not showing any disappointment that I didn't even get you a Father's Day card. Thanks for not asking about the dressing either.... (You see, I asked Ryan a month ago what he wanted to eat on Father's Day thinking he would say a dessert but he said dressing) I hope that I can make it up to you...for all you have done. I am so blessed to call you husband and best friend. I love you Most!!!!







1 comments:
I was so sorry to hear of your loss (Kristina told me after you had called her and I'm sorry to just acknowledge it). You and Ryan have been hit hard this year with the loss of grandparents, but what a peace to know you will see them again.
Much love....
Post a Comment