Yesterday was Poppop's memorial celebration service. It was such a testimony of a life lived in service to the Lord. My uncle conducted the service, Ryan sang, and 3 of us grandkids recalled memories of our precious grandfather. Here is what I tried to day though all my tears,
" I just wanted to share from my devotional from Tuesday a week and a half ago (that was the day after I arrived in FL to visit) I was reading in Eccles. 7:1 which says,
"A good name is better than precious ointment and the day of death than the day birth."
Another version I read said “Your death date tells more than your birth.”
I immediately thought of Poppop. You see Poppop has taught us many lessons and has given us countless fond memories but of all the things I value from Poppop- it is his good name that challenges me to live my life in a way that honors and pleases the Lord. "
"A good name is better than precious ointment and the day of death than the day birth."
Another version I read said “Your death date tells more than your birth.”
I immediately thought of Poppop. You see Poppop has taught us many lessons and has given us countless fond memories but of all the things I value from Poppop- it is his good name that challenges me to live my life in a way that honors and pleases the Lord. "
When I reflect on the outpouring of people who have been touched by my grandfather's life of giving, I consider myself honored and humbled for having been known and loved by such a great man of God.
Following the service, numerous cars paraded to the graveside in the rain to watch as Poppop's body was taken to his final place of rest. Poppop was carried by his 6 grandsons who so many times had carried them. In Poppop's tribute they all wore aviator sunglasses:) We took dirt, Poppop's dirt from the farm, (Aaron's idea) to drop into the grave. The flowers from the grandkids was shaped like a tractor (Matt's idea)
After the graveside service the family and close friends were invited back to Word of Life to share a meal and fellowship time. They did a beautiful job. Dad, Teresa and Lisa had gotten centerpieces of memoribilia from Poppop's life and everyone enjoyed looking at all the photos and items that were precious to my grandfather. People shared stories, some funny, some serious. We laughed and cried. I know Poppop would have had a great time. We miss him already.
I looked through his Bible and found a letter I had written to him when I was 9 or 10 thanking him for buying some Bible books for the neighborhood club called Kids for Christ I had started. He had kept that letter all these years.
This man was loved by many, cherished and adored. He will forever be a hero.
Here is a photo of all the grandkids sitting on the tractor like we have so many times- only one person is missing....










2 comments:
What a special relationship! I know that your grandfather is smiling down from heaven at you at the Christian lady that you are. You are a wonderful mother and you have a beautiful family. You are a great friend and just a beautiful person - I know that your PopPop is proud of you! I am truly sorry for your loss. I completely understand where you are. I was there not too long ago myself. It hurts but it's refreshing at the same time. You know you can always call on me anytime of the day. I love you!
I am so sorry to hear about your granddad. Please know that we have been praying for you and your family.
Much love to you all.
Post a Comment